Tips for Preventing Public Liability Claims on your Farm
All of our Farm Insurance policies include public liability cover. This is to protect the farmer personally in case an injury or damage to property is linked to your farm. Running a farm presents many opportunities for accidents. Here are some preventative measures that may help reduce these.
- Keep your livestock secure. Check your boundaries regularly for breaches. Sheep in particular are adept at escaping and can be a danger to road traffic if they wander onto public roads.
- When moving animals try and keep them calm, particularly if you are moving them on a public road.
- Wear a high-vis jackets so that you can be seen easily by motorists.
- Be aware of traffic blind spots and bends. If they are unavoidable, have somebody up ahead warning cars to slow down.
- Clean up the road after the animals as you could be held responsible for a slip or trip on muck.
- If your farm is located in an area used by hikers and walkers, consider locking your gates and putting in styles alongside the gates. This will prevent your animals escaping through gates that may be left open or not properly closed.